NAPO offers the following certification program:
A Certified Professional Organizer® demonstrates the knowledge and experience essential to the industry. The Board of Certification for Professional Organizers (BCPO) oversees this program.
To earn the CPO® designation, one must:
- Document a specific number of paid hours that include transferring organizing skills to the client
- Pass the BCPO examination
- Earn Continuing Education Units for renewal of the designation
ICD offers the following certification program:
The Institute for Challenging Disorganization (ICD), an affiliated organization of NAPO, developed the professional designation of a Certified Professional Organizer in Chronic Disorganization®.
To earn the CPO-CD® designation, one must:
- Spend 17-20 months of intensive time studying and applying this learning in practical application with current clients
- Complete coursework, written assignments, and undergo a peer panel review
If you are not ready to undergo the process of certification, both NAPO and ICD offer shortened specialty programs in which you can earn a certificate in a particular area of interest. Visit their websites for details.